The EU is currently reviewing regulation within the electronic communications industry in line with the proposals in the Digital Single Market Strategy released on 6 May 2015. The EU review shall focus on the following aspects, amongst others:
- A harmonised single market approach to spectrum policy and management;
- tackling regulatory harmonisation to allow economies of scale for efficient network operators and service providers, whilst ensuring effective protection of consumers;
- ensuring a level playing field for market players and consistent application of the rules;
- offering incentives to investment in high-speed broadband networks (including a review of the Universal Service Directive);
- possibly, the regulation of OTTs and MVNOs; and,
- a more effective regulatory institutional framework to allow all of the above.