As an integral part of conducting their business efficiently and effectively, employers must understand their rights and obligations toward their employees, which have become increasingly complex and regulated.
We have been assisting employers and employees in managing risk and providing strategic advice on critical decisions as well as day-to-day support on human resources issues.
Over the years the firm has gained an excellent reputation on employment and related matters, being entrusted with the more complex situations by a number of the larger employers and international entities having a presence in Malta.
We act for various clients across a broad spectrum of market sectors on all aspects of the employment relationship and related matters including drafting of contracts, employment handbooks, policies, share option and pension schemes, terminations of employment, including collective redundancies, restructurings and transfers of business.
The team is also experienced in handling employment disputes including industrial relations disputes, regularly assisting clients before the Industrial Tribunal and the Court of Appeal, representing clients in proceedings relating to claims of unfair dismissal, breach of contract, discrimination, working time and health, and safety in the workplace.
We have been assisting our clients in negotiations with unions and employees’ representatives for many years and are regularly involved in the negotiations of collective agreements and trade disputes.
Our Pensions team closely monitors developments in the evolving regulatory matrix concerning retirement schemes and funds, related parties and, importantly, the employers and their employees to which pension products relate.
Our expertise in this area includes:
- Drafting contracts of handbooks and policies;
- advising on various aspects of the employment relationship, including restructurings and transfers of business;
- assisting in administering grievances, disciplinary processes and terminations, including collective redundancies;
- assisting with collective bargaining and trade disputes, including threatened industrial action;
- assisting clients in litigious proceedings before the Industrial Tribunal and the Court of Appeal;
- advising on Whistleblowing including the drafting of policies;
- obtaining work permits for third country nationals;
- advising on the structure of proposed pensions schemes/funds.