Our transport and logistics team brings together specialists in the Aviation and Maritime sectors, as well as related infrastructure. Malta’s natural geographical position together with the focus on developing these industry sectors over time requires us to assist clients in addressing the challenges and regulatory demands which the globalised environment intrinsic in the sector dictates.
With the introduction of legislation providing a robust legislative framework transposing the Cape Town Convention and the Aircraft Protocol, Malta has become an important jurisdiction for aircraft registration. With a streamlined and efficient procedure for the registration of aircraft coupled with highly competitive costs associated with company formation and aircraft registration, we have experienced a significant increase of business in this sector. Our experience in this area includes advising and assisting clients with the regulatory aspect and the practical aspects of the registration of aircraft in Malta as well as providing corporate advice as to the structure to be adopted for the registration of aircraft.
We provide assistance and legal advice relating to the financing of aircraft, working closely with foreign and local advisors on a number of projects involving aircraft financing. Additionally, we provide advice relating to lease structures and associated regulatory, corporate, tax planning and other fiscal matters relating to aviation and aircraft registration in Malta.
We are counsel to the Malta International Airport (Malta’s only airport), a long-standing client of the firm. This relationship has enabled the firm to acquire sector-specific experience in a field which is limited to a small number of players on the Islands.
Our experience includes:
- advising and assisting clients with the regulatory aspect and the practical aspects of the registration of aircraft in Malta;
- providing corporate advice as to the structure to be adopted for the registration of aircraft.
Collateral and enforcement
- advising clients in relation to security on aircraft and aircraft owners available to financiers;
- assisting and advising clients in connection with the enforcement of security interests on aircraft and aircraft-owners;
- representing clients in all tribunals and courts in Malta in relation to the disputes relating to the enforcement of security, including arrests of aircraft, judicial sales by auction and court approved private sales.
Regulatory and associated advice
- advising aircraft operators on regulatory aspect of aircraft registration and operation;
- providing advice on fiscal matters relating to aircraft registration.
Shipping & Yachting
Our firm’s shipping and yachting team has a deep understanding of the maritime industry, having assisted ship (and yacht) owners, ship operators and international ship financiers with services relating to ship and yacht registration, registration of mortgages, incorporation of shipping organizations and structuring of shipping groups, arrests and other enforcement measures, tax advice and other legal assistance.
Our Experience includes:
Ship registration and ancillary services
- advising and assisting clients with all regulatory aspects applicable to the registration of ships and yachts in Malta;
- advising and assisting clients with the incorporation of shipping organisations in Malta, structuring of shipping groups and the registration of resident agents for international owners;
- advising and assisting ship-owners with the full range of administrative matters affecting ships including port state and flag state control, crewing requirements, bareboat charter registration, armed guards requirements in the context of piracy and other administrative and technical aspects relating to Maltese ships
- advising and assisting international financiers in syndicated, bilateral, inter-creditor and subordination arrangements and other types of secured financing;
- advising ship-owners including negotiations of finance documentation, ship building contracts, sale and purchase of ships and charter-party contracts.
Collateral and enforcement
- advising and assisting clients in relation to collateral and security interests which may be registered over ships and against ship-owners;
- advising and assisting financiers, crew members and other claimants in relation to enforcement of maritime claims, mortgages and other security, whether arising under or registered in the jurisdiction of a foreign state or Malta;
- advising and assisting clients in proceedings in all courts of Malta in relation to disputes arising in connection with enforcement of security, including arrests of vessels, judicial sales by auction and court approved private sales;
- assisting clients with the enforcement in foreign jurisdictions of mortgages and other security interests registered or arising in Malta.