Malta’s position at the centre of the Mediterranean has historically led Malta to serve as a natural hub for the shipping industry. The Maltese ship register is currently amongst the largest ship registers in the world.
Our firm’s shipping and yachting team has a deep understanding of the maritime industry, having assisted ship (and yacht) owners, ship operators and international ship financiers with services relating to: ship and yacht registration, registration of mortgages, incorporation of shipping organizations and structuring of shipping groups, arrests and other enforcement measures, tax advice and other legal assistance.
Ship registration and ancillary services
- advising and assisting clients with all regulatory aspects applicable to the registration of ships and yachts in Malta;
- advising and assisting clients with the incorporation of shipping organisations in Malta, structuring of shipping groups and the registration of resident agents for international owners;
- advising and assisting ship-owners with the full range of administrative matters affecting ships including port state and flag state control, crewing requirements, bareboat charter registration, armed guards requirements in the context of piracy and other administrative and technical aspects relating to Maltese ships
- advising and assisting international financiers in syndicated, bilateral, inter-creditor and subordination arrangements and other types of secured financing;
- advising ship-owners including negotiations of finance documentation, ship building contracts, sale and purchase of ships and charter-party contracts.
Collateral and enforcement
- advising and assisting clients in relation to collateral which may be taken over ships and ship-owners;
- advising and assisting financiers, crew members and other claimants in relation to enforcement of maritime claims, mortgages and other security, whether arising under or registered in the jurisdiction of a foreign state or Malta;
- advising and assisting clients in proceedings in all courts of Malta in relation to disputes arising in connection with enforcement of security, including arrests of vessels, judicial sales by auction and court approved private sales;
- assisting clients with the enforcement in foreign jurisdictions of mortgages and other security interests registered or arising in Malta.